Friday, August 25, 2017

Not so fast!

Whoever said that “Time goes faster as you get older” certainly was right. I can’t believe how fast the summer has gone and how long it has been since I last posted.

We finally got the RV back on Monday. As we were leaving the coast we saw people pulling off to watch the Eclipse, however, there were no good places to pull off so we kept on going.

I have spent the last three days putting all the solar panels back on the roof, putting the TV antenna back and also the Maxxair cover over the rear kitchen vent. I even checked out the TV to make sure I had that all done correctly.

I think my garden is at an end. I thought that several weeks ago but the beans got a second wind and we have frozen 9 vacuum packed meals with another few still in the refer that I picked in the last few days. The zucchini and yellow squash are done while the tomatoes are still producing. I have been making salsa with all the tomatoes but the other day I over did it. I had picked up some chilies at the grocery store and didn’t look at the heat content. Anyway, that batch of salsa was wayyyyyyyyyy tooooo hot for me. I should have tasted the chilies before I used them. My bad, that batch went down the garbage disposal. Maybe it will clean out the sewer line.

Now that we have a good RV we are going on a short trip for a few weeks to the Eastern Sierras. Unfortunately, we picked the hottest time to go. We are heading into a heat wave next week so we plan to get an early start on Monday.

But, not so fast. I had been suspecting that my 10 year old Trojan T105-RE 6 volt batteries were failing. A check of the specific gravity this morning showed that one of the batteries was not taking a charge, in fact the battery was very hot as it was being over charged as the charger tried to bring it up to the proper voltage. I disconnected that battery from the other one and tried charging separately with a line charger. No luck. It just won’t hold charge. Definately bad.

So, neighbor Paul suggested I call a local car parts house as they also stock a small amount of RV parts. Low and behold, they have Trojan batteries, so tomorrow morning I will go down and get 2 new ones. These buggers are heavy at 67 pounds a piece so getting them out of the RV will be a chore.



 How about a 6 1/2 foot tall rose bush.