Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Twenty three days and counting.



That is how long we have been confined to our house so far. We started this shortly after we returned from our winter trip. Other than dropping off some things to friends, we have not been away from the house. Oh, Craig did take Clyda for a short drive several days ago but that has been it. We both do walk each day but I see very few people out and those that are practice “Social distancing” so not a problem there.

Craig has only made two trips to the grocery store in that time period. We get vegetables from a local farm garden near us. Drop a $ or 2 in a jar at the unattended stand and take what you need. We have gotten carrots, lettuce, beets, cabbage and celery so far.

Back in early February while we were on our winter trip, I sent Craig a list of food supplies I thought we might need in case of a Pandemic. The one thing I forgot was cleaning supplies. We have some, but not the amount we might need for the long haul. We can improvise if needed. So we are good for some time to come with the basics such as beans and rice!

So, what is everyone doing to pass the time? Playing board games? Learning a new language? Putting puzzles together? Reading? Playing solitaire on your iPad? All good things to do I guess.

I have been working on family history at the request of a niece who knew nothing of her family history. I hadn’t touched my family history files in almost 2 years so as you can imagine the bits of paper, computer searches, etc, were piled up everywhere. I first spent several days organizing the paperwork files then tackled the computer files especially the photos. While making a copy of my master photo file I discovered there were over 60,000 photos on my hard drive not all of which were in any type of recognizable order. After days of work there are still some remaining that need to be filed in the correct folders but it is a start.

Of course I am spending way too much time on the computer but it goes with the territory when tracing down family lineages.

Both Clyda and I have been in the yard pulling weeds, getting the garden bed ready to plant and trimming bushes as needed. There is no hurry as it needs to warm up a little more before I plant anything.


California poppies in my garden bed. As they go to seed, I will pull them out and plant veggies.

I also have a 1000 piece puzzle to work on which may take me years to complete. It took a day and a half to finish just the border. It is all succulents which are purple and black. It sits in my computer room and occasionally I find a piece that fits. My goal is to put 2 pieces together and eventually put those 2 with another 2 that match. I know of no other way to finish this monster. A friend of Clyda’s had completed a 4000 piece puzzle recently which took up her whole dining room table. I didn’t know they even made one that big.


Both Clyda and I read a lot. Both paperbacks and on our iPads. I subscribe to Amazon’s “Kindle Unlimited” app. They gave me 3 months of free books for 99 cents and then extended it free for another month. Nice deal!

So, have you made your masks yet? There are lots of videos on-line of the “how to do it” kind. I tried making them from t-shirts with marginal success but did find that the easiest and quickest was to use the blue Shop Towels. These are “no sew” masks. I happened to have just a few towels left so I made Clyda and I each one in a few minutes time yesterday. The thing I like about them is there is a paper clip which is used to shape the nose piece. Most masks don’t adequately cover the nose and leave a gap between the nose and the mask which fogs up your glasses of you are wearing any. Also, the shop towels are heavier (made from pressed cellulose) and allow for some stretch in the material. These shop towel masks are 54% effective compared to standard surgical masks which are 39% effective. Just Google “shop towel masks” for more information.