Thursday, January 8, 2009

Getting Hitch-Itch

Location, Home

We came home on Monday after a very nice New Years thanks to our friends Budd and Brenda. Their hospitality is unparalleled. We decided to drive home via Hwy 14 through Canyon Country as we had not been that way in some time. After driving the old road, as we did many times while skiing at Mammoth, I told Clyda that “we don’t need to do that anymore”. Way too much traffic and stop lights now.

I have been working on the RV in anticipation of leaving next Friday. On Tuesday I replaced the sacrificial anode in the water heater which should be done annually. My first mistake was not relieving the pressure in the water system before removing the drain plug in the heater. BIG mistake! It all came out in a rush and soaked me from head to toe. Not only was I wet, I was covered with white calcium particles from inside the tank. It was very cold also so I changed clothes before I cleaned the tank and reinstalled a new anode. After relighting the water heater and checking for leaks I proceeded on to another project and forgot to turn the heater off until late that evening when I remembered it. Bummer!!

Yesterday I started cleaning the inside of the rig from top to bottom. I washed down all the woodwork, cleaned drawers, oiled the table, and vacuumed the floor, windows, and shades. It looks very nice.

I also ran errands yesterday. I am looking at a Verizon Aircard for internet access while on the road but I am choking on the price. Cheap skate as I am I guess. I hate to pay $200 for the card plus $69 a month. For that price I can turn the service off during the months I don’t need it which is a big advantage. That amount still only gets you 5 GB/month of download usage.

Today Craig and I emptied the water softener and tried to get all the mud and gunk out. To really do a good job we need to disassemble the unit and tip it over. Way too much work right now.

We received a call today from a friend who got burned out in the Tea Fire last November. I had called and left her a message last month but she didn’t have time to return the call. She and her husband lost 2 of their three houses on one street. Their new house which was unfinished survived by some miracle. She said they will rebuild both houses in time. She was the one who first saw the fire and beat on the fire station door. The fireman didn’t think it was anything big. Time proved them so wrong.

Her stories were something. She sifted through all the ashes at both houses looking for items, however not much survived.

With that, I will close for tonight.