Monday, January 12, 2009

Getting ready

Location, Home

I forgot how much time and effort it takes to pack the RV for an extended trip. I am out of practice I guess.

This morning both Clyda and I needed lab tests done so off we went about 8 AM to the lab. Because both of our insurances changed beginning with January 1, we had to check in with the registration desk. The wait for the lab was about an hour after that. By the time we were both done it was pushing 10 AM and we were hungry so we went to the Farmer Boy restaurant and used our Axxcess Card for a half priced meal. It was very good as it was a breakfast special with pancakes, sausage or bacon, and eggs for $5.99.

From there we had other errands to run so it was after 11 AM when we returned home.

I pruned the apricot tree this afternoon, which only took a few minutes as I had removed the top last year. I also cut and painted several new plywood leveling blocks for the RV. All of my old ones were breaking from setting on rocks while in the desert. Plywood should hold up longer, I hope. The coat of paint is to protect them from the weather.

I started loading a few more items as I think of them. I do use a checklist but find that there are always things that are not on it. For instance: A map of Indio to find the Elks club. I have it loaded into the GPS also; an address for the apartment complex in Austin, TX, if we get that far in our travels; A list of places to possibly stay on out trip along with phone numbers; a heavy load of books to both read and deliver to friends, and so it goes. The list is endless. Anticipating what will be needed is the crux of the problem. I do look forward to the planning as much as anticipation for the trip. Wanderlust I guess, or as some RV’ers call it – Hitch Itch.