Friday, May 28, 2010

It's berry season!

Location, Home, CA

For the past week I have been picking boysenberries every other day. The last two times I picked 6 baskets each day. I thought I would show the process used to pick, clean, and store the berries.
I have 2 rows of berries each 16 feet long. There really aren’t that many plants, however each plant has several vines which are strung on wires as they grow.


A view of the berry rows.
Close up of berries. The vines are heaviest with berries right now as picking has just begun.
Today’s picking.
The berries are washed and left to drain in a colander.
After draining, they are placed on trays for freezing.
After freezing they are placed in dated zip-lock bags for storage in the freezer.

Berries are thawed and made into jelly or cobblers as we need them. We still have a few berries in the freezer from last year.