Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Location, at Home, CA

Over the last few days I have had a unique experience, at least unique for me.

Last summer I purchased a new Dell PC with a Blu-ray DVD/CD player. I had no reason to use it so much to my surprise when I did try to use it around the holidays last year it didn’t work. It kept rejecting the disc.

A call to Dell support and a new unit was shipped to a local tech group for in-home installation. A few days later the tech brought the new unit and installed in 10 minutes. All seemed to check out ok.

However, a few weeks after that, the new unit again rejected any disc I put in.

I finally called Dell support again and they had me run a diagnostic test which showed the unit had a bad spindle. Another unit would be sent to the tech group. A day or so later I received a call that the unit no longer was in stock but they would offer me a new unit which was like my old one but included a Blu-ray writer. Suweet! What a deal.

Yesterday the tech installed it and after checking read and write functions, all is good. Will I ever use the Blu-ray options? I doubt it. But then again, who knows.

I have a 26 inch Vizio LCD TV in the RV. It started having vertical lines on the left side of the screen. My warranty is due to run out in a few weeks so I put in a call to the “Big Box” store support service where I bought the TV. They called Vizio who wanted photos of the unit and the vertical lines.

Yesterday Vizio called and said the unit would be replaced. Today they called and said that particular unit was out of stock and would I “accept an upgraded LED TV which is just slightly smaller in width” than my original.  Would I? Of course I would. The original unit was 720p and the new unit is 1080p. What more could I ask?

I must say that both Dell and Vizio stepped up to their responsibilites in replacing faulty units. For that I am grateful.
 
A good week except for my cold.