Friday, May 25, 2012

I haven't disapeared.


Location, at Home, CA


No, I haven’t disappeared or blown away but it is very windy today and has been for several days.

Our nice warn weather has disappeared also. It is sunny but only in the 60’s. It will make for a cool Memorial Day weekend.

A quick synopsis of the past month.

The 10 days at Ranchero Visitadores went well. The weather was nice with temps in the 80’s most days with a nice afternoon breeze to keep us cool. After I was through at the gate, I moved the trailer to Lake Cachuma for 3 days. Clyda came up on Friday afternoon and we kicked back for the weekend with a little wine tasting thrown in for good measure.

I must say that there certainly was a lack of campers at the lake. I think the high prices for camping ($45 with FHU) and high gas prices are keeping people away. They may also have been saving for this weekend.

The boysenberries are producing. I have picked between 6 and 9 baskets the last few days. The berries are nice and plump from the late rains we had. Clyda made syrup from one of the pickings and I froze those picked today.

Craig has a few things planted in the garden such as pole beans, zucchini, crookneck squash and peppers. Zucchini and crookneck will be ready to pick in a few days.

Clyda’s planting of radishes in a cardboard box didn’t turn out well as they didn’t grow fast enough and were tough as rocks. I threw all of them in the compost bucket.

On Tuesday I removed the two solar water heating panels from the back of the garage roof. We had a large trash pickup on Wednesday so I managed to get rid of the bulk objects. The units were still serviceable but I could no longer get spare parts so they had to go. I have someone coming after Memorial Day to give me a quote for replacement units. I left all the plumbing in place as it may be useable with the new units.  

I received a call from a friend yesterday offering Clyda and I a job for the summer running a check in station for the Core of Engineers in Oregon. It seems the people who had the job quit. I think they only worked for a few weeks. The pay was quite good and we only had to work 40 hours a week between us. It does rain however. The job ran through September 15th. We have several commitments this summer so it is not practical for us to do it. We might think about doing something like that but I am not sure I could take dealing with the public. I’m not diplomatic enough I guess or just ornery.