Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Exhaust brake working again.

Location, Home, CA

I had been having a problem with the exhaust brake on my truck. I quit working while I was driving in to Primm, NV on my desert trip. I did a little troubleshooting while we were in Death Valley but couldn’t find the problem. My only concern driving without it was coming down the “Grapevine” on I-5 on the way home. I did manage to drive it buy dropping out of overdrive and braking a couple of times.

Yesterday I decided to really take a look at the problem. After checking fuses and tracing lines and hoses, neighbor Paul and I found a disconnected wire which senses when the engine has warmed up and opens the exhaust valve. As soon as I connected the wire the vacuum pump ran like it should. A road test followed and the valve worked as it is supposed to. I have no idea why the problem on the road earlier.

Clyda has been wanting me to make some baskets for her so today I gathered what materials I thought I needed and started. I managed to remember most of the techniques to make this particular basket but it took me much longer than it should have. Of course, it has been quite some time since I actually made a basket. I plan to make a few more tomorrow.