Saturday, October 16, 2010

Packing for the desert.

Location, Home, CA

I realize I haven’t posted much lately. I have been getting ready for my annual fall desert trip. We have put together several features which I hope will satisfy everyone.

I am leaving Monday for Las Vegas with an overnight stop at Baker. A few of us will meet there before we travel on to Las Vegas. We will spend 4 days in Vegas and have a full schedule of things to do and see while there.

Besides our usual things we will visit the new MGM City Center, tour Hoover Dam and see the new bridge over the Colorado River. The bridge doesn’t officially open for traffic for a couple of weeks yet.

We will then spend a week in the desert around Tecopa, CA checking on the remains of the old Tonopah and Tidewater Railroad, explore some 4x4 roads and maybe soak in the hot springs at Tecopa.

From Tecopa we will move to Death Valley for two weeks and partake in the Death Valley 49er celebration. This is an annual celebration commemorating the first pioneers to enter the valley in 1849. This celebration has been held each year since 1949. One of our members has attended every year since then. He was 10 years old and rode a wagon in the grand parade.

I should be gone about a month. The weather next week in Las Vegas is calling for rain showers. Hopefully it won’t be too bad.

Speaking of weather…. Ours has been awful. Clouds and fog which for the most part is a light drizzle which goes on all day. I had planned to wash my truck and wax it today but it just kept drizzling so I watch football instead. :)

We did get our flu shots this morning. Because we belong to an HMO we can’t get a free flu shot as people who are just on Medicare can. We had to make a $20 donation each for ours. Cheap insurance I guess. Mine stung a little and my arm is sore tonight.