Thursday, March 24, 2011

Bringing the blog up to date

Location, At Home, CA

We left Bouse, AZ on Wednesday March 16th and drove to Needles then west on I-40 to where it intersects with old route 66. We drove route 66 to Essex, Amboy, and Ludlow before we got back on I-40. Route 66 is a good road in most places, is a slower way to go with little traffic.

Once we were back on I-40 the wind was more noticeable as it was out of the west. We stopped in Newberry Springs, CA to add some fuel at $4.399 per gallon. Needless to say, $50 worth was about a quarter tank on my truck.

Our goal for the day was the rest stop at Boron. Only the east bound side has room along the tree line for RV’s so we had to go to the next over pass and return to the east bound rest stop. The wind was blowing and before long there were 6 other RV’s lined up behind and in front of us. It is a good place to spend the night. There are trains of course and a nearby crossing so you do hear the whistle.

The next morning we drove another 50 miles to Tehachapi, CA and our friends Budd and Brenda’s yard where I parked the RV. Fuel at Love’s was $4.099 per gallon. It cost $117 to fill the tank. We stayed for 4 days as the wind was blowing all day Sunday when we planned to leave. It also rained and eventually snowed.

We watched a lot of NCAA basketball (Thanks Budd) and played cards and Domino’s.

On Monday morning we awoke to this.

Fortunately, it was all slushy so started melting early. After some shoveling, we left about 10:30 AM and dropped out of the snow as soon as we entered Hwy 58 westbound. Our trip home was via Hwy 223, Arvin, Hwy 99, then on Hwy 166 west to Santa Maria, CA and south on Hwy 101. There were a few brief rain showers but the hills were covered with snow to the south while the hills to the north had wild flowers on them. Also, everything was so green. Beautiful, uneventful drive.

On Tuesday I had a Dr's appointment as a follow up to my hospital stay in Tucson, AZ. Of course, I needed more blood work so off the the lab I went to give my quart of blood (seemed like it anyway). On Wednesday I again had an appointment to get the results of the blood work. All blood work was normal so again the conclusion was that I had some sort of virus.