Monday, December 8, 2008

New solar panel

Location, Home

I should have mentioned in my last post that the one movie I really enjoyed was Australia. It was like the old time epics we used to see.

I have been trying to buy another solar panel for the RV and had found one on the internet on Craig’s List. I agreed to the price but the seller was located south of Los Angeles but did make trips my way occasionally. On Saturday we arranged to meet on Sunday in Thousand Oaks, CA. It was about an hour and a half trip for both of us. I had taken an old car battery with me and my voltmeter and some clip leads to test the panel. The first one just didn’t check right so we tried another. It seemed ok but we only had weak sunshine as there was a lot of cloud cover, so it only put out about 2.2 amps. I accepted it and headed home.

This morning we had more sun so I tested the panel again and it now put out more than 4 amps so I guess it is ok. I need to do some work before I can install it on the RV. I need mounting holes drilled and I need some stainless steel lag screws to hold it down. The real problem may be getting some self leveling caulk to seal around the mounting brackets. Usually only RV repair facilities carry this stuff. It is available on-line if I want to order it.

I am working on our Christmas newsletter. It is always a problem to decide what to put in it and to find some meaningful pictures to use.