Thursday, September 9, 2010

To Wisconsin and back.

Location, Home, CA

I am back from my trip to Wisconsin. I arrived home about 10:30 PM on Tuesday. I have been playing catch up since then.

The trip went very well including all of my flights. I arrived in Chicago a little early and was in my rental car ready to head North by 6:30 PM. The traffic was minimal on the Northwest toll road to Rockford, IL so I made good time. I stopped once for food and arrived at my sister’s by 11 PM.

On Tuesday we sorted through 5 boxes of photo albums and papers my mother had collected. I brought much of it back with me and sent another box home on Friday. The box arrived today.

The rest of the week was spent visiting my parents in the assisted living facility, visiting relatives, a trip to the cemeteries to clean the headstones (they grow moss on them), and attending an all high school reunion on Saturday. It was great to see old classmates and neighbors some of whom I haven’t seen in 50 years. The last reunion was 3 years ago and another is planned for 2013.

I left my sisters at 6:30 AM on Tuesday for the 4 and ½ hour drive back to Chicago. I had anticipated construction on my route but only had to slow for a single lane section once. It was very windy however. I did run out of clouds south of Madison, WI and except for the wind it was a beautiful day. Traffic was moderate from Madison on but maintained 65 MPH for the most part. I was off the toll way by 11 AM but it took another hour gas the car, turn it in, and shuttle back to the airport.

My flights all left on time and the first leg from Chicago to Las Vegas I was in First Class. I could really learn to travel this way. Great service, and great food and drink. It was first class from Las Vegas to Los Angeles also but the flight was only an hour so there were few real perks.

I arrived home with a raging head ache which I attributed to not drinking enough water and too much air conditioning. It was fine the next morning.

I took few pictures on this trip. I think the fact that we spent so much time looking at all my mother’s pictures put a damper on my taking more. When I get old, who will want them any way? Food for thought.