Friday, August 15, 2014

The waiting game.



Location, At Home

I am still waiting for a quote on the trailer repairs. They were supposed to call me today but again, nothing happened.

I am also waiting on a call from the insurance adjuster who was supposed to call within 4 hours. That was 3 days ago.

I have been unloading stuff from the trailer, mainly things I don’t want in there while it is in the repair shop. Things like my generators, extra books, spare tire, etc.

Meanwhile I have been having problems with my ACER netbook which is now 5 years old. I use this when we travel as it is small and light weight. The screen sometimes comes up red and a few of the symbols have a red tinge around them. If I move the screen the red goes away. Neighbor Paul had similar problems with his Netbook so he took it apart today, reassembled it and now no problems. I guess I may need to do that also.
 The other problem with the Netbook is that it runs Windows XP which is no longer supported by Microsoft and every so often I get a message to that effect.

So, yesterday I bit the bullet and bought a new Dell Inspiron 11 2 in 1 notebook which can also be used as a tablet. It runs Windows 8.1 which I am struggling to learn. I did manage to get my email installed along with a few other programs.
The one hit against this notebook is that it is too heavy to hold in one hand like other light weight tablets. I don’t see this as a problem for me as I rarely hold it that way. It weighs about 3 lbs.

I need to get rid of some old computers as I still have my original Dell laptop which weighs as much as a boat anchor but it still works. For now it is hooked to a large flatbed scanner to copy slides.

Back to Windows 8.1