Saturday, March 21, 2009

Home once again

Location, Home, CA

I added a photo of our rig in the water at Del Rio Texas Elks Club on Wed March 11th.

We are home. We drove from Indio yesterday and arrived about 2 PM or so. The drive through Los Angeles on I-210 is not bad but there are no rest stops along that stretch of highway. We had stopped at the Beaumont rest stop on I-10 and had planned on stopping at the Calimesa rest stop but it was closed. That is a long stretch to drive with out stopping. We had to keep our legs crossed until we got to Hwy 126 at Castaic.

On Thursday we drove to Indio via I-8 west of Yuma to Hwy 111 north to Brawley then on Hwy 86 north to Indio. We stayed at the Elks Club again and enjoyed a nice warm 90 degree day sitting in the shade of our RV’s.

We asked the campground host where the best date shake was to be found and he recommended Shields on Hwy-111 which sells all kinds of date related items. The date shake was good but we all agreed that the date shakes at China Ranch outside of Tecopa, CA are the best.

California highways are the pits! Especially I-210 from Pasadena to I-5 and I-5 from the 210 to Hwy 126. Also, Hwy 101 from Ventura to Santa Barbara has so many dips that the trailer is in danger of becoming unhooked or air born. The center lane west of Santa Barbara is bad from all the truck traffic.

We really get spoiled easily by the good roads in Texas and New Mexico.

We have part of the RV unloaded but it is misting heavily this morning and I need to open the slides to remove the rest of our stuff. I don’t want to then pull the slides in while they are wet so guess I will just wait and do other things around here. Goodness knows, there is plenty to do after being gone for 2 months.