Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Boondocking in Quartzsite!

Location, Quartzsite, AZ


It is raining in the desert. Not a deluge so far but rain never the less.

And wind….

Enough to rock the RV at times.

We did not get the rain expected on Monday except for sprinkles over night. There have been a lot of grey clouds but most have been to the North of us.

We had an easy trip on Sunday. We left home by 6:50 AM and arrived in Quartzsite by 2:30 PM. We are camped with friends South of Q on Hwy 95 in the Roadrunner BLM area. We can stay here 14 days for free. The only drawback to this area is the amount of traffic that backs up on the highway going back into Quartzsite as it is the only road into town.

I visited the Big Tent yesterday and ran into friends from Ojai, CA and Kingman, AZ as I walked in. We had planned to camp with them later but I think they are going to Yuma, CA tomorrow.

I purchased 3 LED bulbs as replacement for some incandescent bulbs in the RV. The LED’s draw so much less current that I wish I could replace them all but the cost is prohibitive. I replaced the outside porch light and one bulb in each of our light fixtures in the living area. Now to see if they give enough light before I replace the rest.

Clyda and I ran into town this afternoon for a short time. I picked up a light fixture that swivels for over the couch. I am hoping it will provide enough light for reading by. A test is in order as there is no 12 volts nearby so it will be a challenge to make it work.

Weather permitting; I think we will go back to town tomorrow. I need to renew my Emergency Road Service with Good Sam. It is an annual thing I do while here.