Sunday, January 3, 2010

Starting the New Year.

Location, Home, CA


This is the first entry for the New Year. Our New Years Eve was very quiet. We had a champagne toast and were in bed by 10 PM. Some local fireworks got our attention but nothing to get excited about.

I have been doing lots of things with my computers this week. I removed a hard drive from an old Windows 98 machine and installed it in my desktop unit. Then I installed Ubuntu on this drive with my neighbor Paul’s help. Now I can bring up the desktop in Windows or Ubuntu. I really like the way Ubuntu works but there are some drawbacks also as Windows programs like Streets and Trips don’t work on it.

It is fun to play anyway.

I am also scanning slides with my new Canon 8800F scanner. I am having some problems with it as it stops scanning some slides in preview mode. I get a black bar at the top of the slides when this happens. There is mention of this on the internet but no solution offered. It seems to happen after I have scanned for a while. Heat problem? I don’t know.

We are making plans for hitting the road in a few weeks. Still lots of things to do before then. The truck will go in on Tuesday for a recall repair. Most people on the internet say it is a fifteen minute job while my local dealer wants the truck for a half a day.

I need to work on the asparagus bed to get the old stalks cut and fertilizer added and some of t he other plants fertilized also.

I also need to build a door for the woodshed. It took some time to plan how to do this. I finally decided on a bi-fold door which will allow the door to be full height. I need to take some pictures of before and after. I bought hinges the other day but decided to go with post hangers like I did my other gates. They are galvanized so won’t rust.

Lots to do.