Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Visiting the WWII museum.

Another day of sight seeing in New Orleans.

Today was the day to see the WWII museum. We again parked in the same lot as yesterday and caught the trolly near the parking lot for Canal Street where we changed to another trolly up Canal Street to the St Charles Street trolly. A short ride on that trolly brought us to Lee Circle where we got off and walked a short block to the WWII Museum. We buy all day passes for $3.00 each which allows us unlimited use of all RTA trolly's and busses in New Orleans. Hop on and off as we please.


I got a price break on the tickets as a Navy veteran. Instead of $40 it cost $28 for Clyda's and my ticket. A real deal.


The museum is much bigger than I expected. It is 3 stories tall with lots of displays and short videos explaining the World War II. There is a display of vehicles and airplanes in a separate building and a theater with special movies. The displays are really well done and explain in great detail all facets of WWII. In all it is very hard to see it all in detail in one day.

There is an ongoing building project to add more details to the main building and to make a pedestrian over crossing above the traffic. There is a new building planned called The Liberation Pavilion. No idea what is planned for this building.

As we left the museum, we passed another building which houses a large Higgins built boat. This building is under construction but the boat is so large it is inside while the building is being built around it. The boat is PT-305 and is available for guided tours. Higgins was the builder of most of the landing craft used in WWII and employed large segments of the New Orleans workforce.

We walked several blocks to Mother's Restaurant which was recommended to us as a good place to eat. Mothers features ham dinners. Budd and I had ham dinners which come with 3 sides which included red beans and rice, and fries. I only wanted two side so they gave me an extra order of fries. Just what I needed. Clyda and Brenda had Po Boy sandwiches which included ham, turkey, roast beef, slaw and original debris. Your guess is as good as mine as to what debris is.

We asked about the sign. They said it was old and tipping was encouraged.

After eating we walked to Canal street then on toward Decatur Street with our object being the Central Grocery store where we planned to purchase a jar of the tapenade used on Muffallata sandwiches.

We had one more item on our list and that was to have a Sazerac before we left New Orleans. Budd had talked to a man outside of Mothers who said the best was an original at the Roosevelt Hotel which was a cab ride away.

Instead we decided to detour to Bourbon Street to find a proper bar in which to imbibe. Bourbon Street is mostly beer joints with loud music more fit for 20-30 somethings in age but not us old folks. On the corner I found the Maison Bourbon which fit the bill. It is a jazz bar with a great jazz band in residence. I talked to the bar maid who said they made great Sazeracs but she also showed me the menu which listed Sazeracs as costing $12 each. They were however made with Makers Mark bourbon. I ordered. They were good. Mission accomplished.

A nicely decorated balcony on Bourbon Street.

Back to our quest for the tapenade at the Central Grocery. By then we realized that we may be to late as it was after 5 PM. Yup! Closed.

We walked back towards the truck when we heard calliope music and followed it to the river where a lady was playing on the stern wheeler Natchez prior to it departing on a dinner cruise. A great way to end the day as the sun set over the Mississippi River.

We got to the truck and drove back to Slidell. The end of another great day in New Orleans.