Thursday, April 26, 2007

Another nice day

Location: Home in CA

Another beautiful day here with temps in the low 70’s. While working outside it did feel much warmer than that however.

Today I had breakfast out with a couple of friends. We used to do this twice a week some years ago but when one of the fellows passed on and it was hard to go back to the routine. To many memories I guess. After breakfast I had my annual eye exam. Everything was ok but for the first time I need a little distance correction. It is not noticeable to me so I will use my present prescription glasses which have bifocals for reading only. I had just purchased 2 new pair last fall and don’t want to give them up yet. Of course, with the exam comes the pupil dilation so it took several hours for that to wear off.

After I could bear the sunlight with dark glasses on, I took the aluminum cans and plastic bottles to the recycling center and received $23 for my trouble. I stopped and had 2 propane bottles filled which was like buying gold. Sheeesh!!
I also stopped at Home Depot and picked up 2 bags of softener salt and 12 bags of nursery bark which was on sale. I need to put the bark in the front flower beds.

I filled the trailer tank full of water in preparation for my 10 day foray over the mountains behind Santa Barbara to work the main gate security for Ranchero Visitadores. I have been doing this for 11 of the 12 years since I retired. Four of us work the gate 24 hours a day while the trail riders are in camp. I should say there are usually four of us but yesterday I received an email from one of the guys who worked last year, saying he was not coming. That is a real bummer as we were counting on him. I passed that bad bit of news on up the line. Maybe they can find someone to replace him.