Monday, April 30, 2007

Picking Asparagus

Location, Home in CA

I didn’t post to this journal yesterday as I had company and by the time they left it was way past my bedtime.

We are now into “June Gloom” here on the South Coast. It is overcast, foggy, and cold. However, the temperatures in the Santa Ynez Valley are in the high 70’s to low 80”s. That is my kind of weather. I will be going up tomorrow to drop off a load of old wood to burn and mow the grass where we will park our trailers while we work for Visitadores. My “to-do” list is getting smaller in preparation for Wednesday mornings trek over the mountain. It is only about 35 miles one way with the last of 2 miles on a dirt road. The road is in good shape usually and has been sealed with some kind of sealer which helps to keep the dust down.

I have been picking asparagus almost every day since early February. I have a bed about 30 feet long which produces one large handful every day or sometimes more. Needless to say, we eat a lot of asparagus during this time of year. The stalks vary in size from pencil lead thickness to thumb size. They are not all uniform like you see in the store but are oh-so tasty. Tomorrow will be the last picking and I will water the bed heavily and let the stalks grow and go to seed. By late fall they will turn brown and die back. I then cut them off at the ground and feed them with compost and steer manure. The winter rains will provide these nutrients to the new stalks. By its very nature, asparagus migrates out from its original plantings; therefore I have the bed enclosed within a cement border. Some seeds have blown to the next door neighbor's yard so now they have a small bed to pick also.



Todays picture is what I call "root beer" and yellow Hybrid Bearded Iris from the garden.