Tuesday, June 12, 2007

BBQ'd turkey

Location, Home in CA

I BBQ’d a small turkey this afternoon. We wanted to use it before we left for the summer. I like to BBQ my turkeys in a Weber kettle using charcoal. I coat the turkey with a mixture of rosemary, oil, and pepper and put a few rosemary sprigs inside the cavity.

I use the indirect method which has the charcoal pushed to each side in the kettle and a foil pan in the middle. A small amount of water in the pan keeps the air moist. Drippings from the turkey into the pan are later strained and make the best tasting gravy. Every half hour I add 5 charcoals to each side by siding the lid sideways just enough to put the briquettes in. I never completely remove the lid as I don’t want the heat to escape. I also add sprigs of rosemary around the turkey at the start. This makes a really moist and flavorful turkey. I cook the turkey about 11-13 minutes per pound.


Here is a plant called a Lions Mane which is a volunteer in my back yard. I have 2 more of these in front of the house intermixed with purple sage. The combination is striking. This plant is over 6 feet tall.