Saturday, November 10, 2007

Western Invitational Art Show

Location, Death Valley, CA

Where has the week gone? We have been busy everyday with the 49er activities so I guess that accounts for most of our time. One of the activities is an invitational western art show. This brings in some really talented artists and show pieces their art. As part of this event, there is a judging contest for the different Medias, a composite painting, where the public can paint under the direction of the artist, two Quick Draw contests, and an Artists breakfast...

The art from the quick draw, the composites, and other donated art are auctioned off and ½ of the proceeds go to a scholarship fund for college students from Death Valley and the surrounding area. This year the prices for some of the artwork was quite high and the scholar ship fund did very well.

I usually attend the quick draw contests and this year also attended the auction after the Artists Breakfast. I did bid on several items but they usually pass well beyond my range as far as prices I am willing to pay. In particular, I have been coveting a painting by Gilbert Jumbo, a Navajo Indian who has been coming for several years. Unfortunately, his paintings command big money. I keep hoping however. I told the auctioneer, Steve Orcutt that I hope to, “steal a painting” one of these days with a low bid.

Tonight is the Fiddle Contest finals which we will attend. Tomorrow, Dick and I will stay here for the business meeting and then move to the BLM area outside of Tecopa, CA for one night. On Monday we will explore some mines near Tecopa and then move to Baker, CA for the night. I will return home on Tuesday after nearly 5 months on the road. Five months is a long tome but actually, I am not really ready to go home. Quartzsite, AZ is calling.