Saturday, May 12, 2007

Back to normal

Location, Home in CA

I am back from gate guard duty at Rancheros Vistadores. The 10 days went well with cool nights and warm days including one day of near 100 degree temperatures. It was very pleasant under the oak trees for most of the day. However, the temperatures inside the trailers would reach the high 90’s which made it unbearable during the middle of the day. We like to have 1 person not on duty for part of the day but the high temps made it hard to get any rest during that time. I usually got up at 6:30 AM and started breakfast soon after that. My days ended between 9 and 11 PM. There is one man who does the night shift from 11 PM to 7 AM.

Our routine was to have one of us check credentials as each vehicle came through our gate. Some are invited guests who have passes while most are members or workers who also have badges. We do get the usual number who have no passes or invitations. These we check for on our master list or lists and if still not found then we call them in on a land line to the communications center. Most are easily resolved in a few minutes. We have a good crew who work well together. Three of us have worked the gate together for the last eight years.

Approach to Gate

We packed up and left around 11 AM Friday as most of the people had left camp by then. I drove to Lake Cachuma campground and parked the trailer in one of the RV park campsites. Clyda and a friend came in while I was registering and another friend with a motor home came in while I was setting up the trailer. They will stay until Monday morning when I will go back up to get the trailer. They have been doing a “girls weekend camping trip” for several years after I finish at Rancheros as the campground is on the way home.

After unloading the truck last night, I checked the mail, had an early supper then went to bed. It will take me a few days to recover.

This morning I made a bank run and then washed the truck. I still need to put a few things away and then work on trip planning for our up coming June departure.