Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Basket making

Location, Home in CA

Another gloomy, cold day until late this afternoon when the sun finally decided to make a belated appearance.

Today was my Adult Education basket class. This is something I have been doing for 12 years, ever since I retired. I had not attended classes for the last 2 years as we were traveling during much of that time. This spring session is only 7 weeks long and I missed the last 2 weeks so I had some catching up to do. Fortunately, the basket they chose to make this week was one I have done previously so I did manage to catch up between class time and working here at home. We do not make baskets from kits but rather choose as many local material’s as we can. By purchasing some round and flat reed and using local materials, each basket becomes unique. The class participants also vary from beginners to people with 20 years experience. It is always a joy to see some of the finished products from some really talented people.


This is a "Hen" basket I made a few years ago.